In the metaphoric language of Revelation 12: 14-17 the Serpent casts out a flood of lies out of his mouth, which means he inspires many false prophets to deceive those claiming to be Christians into believing the damnable heresies of II Peter 2: 1. In Revelation 12: 17 the remnant has the testimony of Jesus Christ.
In spite of the Serpent inspiring many False Prophets (Matthew 24: 11) to deceive those claiming to be Christians, the remnant holds on to the testimony of Jesus Christ.
“And to the woman were given two wings of a great eagle, that she might fly into the wilderness, into her place, where she is nourished for a time, and times, and half a time, from the face of the serpent.
15. And the serpent cast out of his mouth water as a flood after the woman, that he might cause her to be carried away of the flood.
16. And the earth helped the woman, and the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed up the flood which the dragon cast out of his mouth.
17. And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.” Revelation 12: 14-17
In part, the tribulation is the threshing floor of Jeremiah 51: 33, where the wheat is separated from the chaff or the wheat from the tares, and it is also the valley of decision of Joel 3: 14, where there are those who war against the truth – the multitude – and also those who have come to the knowledge of the truth, which is the remnant.
“For thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel; The daughter of Babylon is like a threshingfloor, it is time to thresh her: yet a little while, and the time of her harvest shall come.” Jeremiah 51: 33
“Put ye in the sickle, for the harvest is ripe: come, get you down; for the press is full, the fats overflow; for their wickedness is great.
14. Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision: for the day of the LORD is near in the valley of decision.
15. The sun and the moon shall be darkened, and the stars shall withdraw their shining.” Joel 3: 13-15
The remnant – the Body of Christ at the time of the tribulation – goes through the tribulation. Those in false doctrines are the tares and not the Body of Christ. In the valley of decision those who resist the truth (II Timothy 3: 8) have a chance to come to the knowledge of the truth and then Christ is formed in them.
“This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy………..Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away………Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.” II Timothy 3: 1-2, 5, 7-8
“My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you,” Galatians 4: 19
“Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:” Philippians 2: 5